- Advertisement -
As the evenings draw in and light fades quicker, are you doing enough to secure your home from opportunistic burglars?
- Advertisement -
Safety is important while you are in the property, security is important while away.
- Check all doors and windows for any weaknesses
- Fit mortise locks to all front and back doors and locks to all downstairs windows or windows which are easy to reach.
- Fit barrel locks to the top and bottom of doors
- Make sure you keep the appropriate keys nearby in case of an emergency
- Keep your house and car keys safe and away from doors and windows.
- Ensure your burglar alarm is installed properly and works. If you don’t have a burglar alarm consider installing one.
- When you are away from home, use timer switches to turn on some lights when it goes dark.
- Make sure you have up-to-date contents insurance
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries when you go away.
- Before you go out, go into each room in the house and make sure all the windows are tightly shut and locked. A burglar may be less likely to enter your home if a window needs to be smashed. Check all doors leading into your home are secure and locked.
- If you have a garage, put your car inside if you are not using it
- Recent improvements in car security mean that the easiest way for a thief to steal a car is to break into your house and steal the keys for it therefore keep car keys were they will not be easily found
- Ensure your main garage door is shut and locked.
- If there are any bicycles or toys sitting around the outside of the house, put them away.
Protect Your Keys
- Always keep your keys safe
- Never give keys to workmen or tradesmen
- Change your locks if you think other people might have copies