As the evenings draw in and light fades quicker, are you doing enough to secure your home from opportunistic burglars?
Safety is important while you are in the property, security is important while away.
- Check all doors and windows for any weaknesses
- Fit mortise locks to all front and back doors and locks to all downstairs windows or windows which are easy to reach.
- Fit barrel locks to the top and bottom of doors
- Make sure you keep the appropriate keys nearby in case of an emergency
- Keep your house and car keys safe and away from doors and windows.
- Ensure your burglar alarm is installed properly and works. If you don’t have a burglar alarm consider installing one.
- When you are away from home, use timer switches to turn on some lights when it goes dark.
- Make sure you have up-to-date contents insurance
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries when you go away.
- Before you go out, go into each room in the house and make sure all the windows are tightly shut and locked. A burglar may be less likely to enter your home if a window needs to be smashed. Check all doors leading into your home are secure and locked.
- If you have a garage, put your car inside if you are not using it
- Recent improvements in car security mean that the easiest way for a thief to steal a car is to break into your house and steal the keys for it therefore keep car keys were they will not be easily found
- Ensure your main garage door is shut and locked.
- If there are any bicycles or toys sitting around the outside of the house, put them away.
Protect Your Keys
- Always keep your keys safe
- Never give keys to workmen or tradesmen
- Change your locks if you think other people might have copies